[OLSR-users] Anyone tried two nodes with internet connection?

Andreas Tønnesen (spam-protected)
Fri Jan 12 09:31:17 CET 2007

Rajesh Narayanan wrote:
> But here is the conclusion I have come to (maybe because of my own
> limited knowledge). I dont think any other hack other than removing
> the default route is going to work, since that is at the core of the
> issue. The default route takes precedence so one will have to delete
> the default route.
>
> But since its been deleted, it needs to be added back so as to check
> if its working after some time and test the ping via the default
> route. If it works, then great; if not, then it needs to be deleted again.

I don't think you understood Bernds explanation. The idea is:
- Set up a static _host_ route to the ping destination trough the uplink
interface.
- Now let dyn_gw dynamically add/remote the default route based on the
pings.
- The pings will _always_ be routed through the host route so there is
no need
for any hacks(like re-adding the default route or doing some sort of
IP-routing bypass).

It should give you just what you want.

My other option(which Bernd also explained) is to have _dedicated_
gateways. That means
you have gateways that _only_ act as gateways. That means they do not
themselves depend
on Internet connectivity. This is what the plugin was originally created
for. The boxes
that ran this plugin were pure gateways dedicated to providing Internet
access and if they
lost their link they should stop announcing themselves as a GW and just
wait to recover.
The node it self never needs to have a "backup" Internet route trough
the olsrd domain
since it's ONLY purpose is to serve Internet connectivity not to connect
to Internet
themselves.

- Andreas