[Olsr-users] ETX-LQ calculations questions

Alexey Shinkin (spam-protected)
Fri Aug 10 08:54:34 CEST 2007

Hi all

I am working on a mesh with fast changed topology and link conditions.
And I'm trying to understand how exactly the LQ and NLQ calculated.

So here are some questions:

When we (olsrd) get an LQ HELLO message, we get NLQ from a neighbor , right ?
And LQ is calculated from number of expected and actually received LQ HELLO messages from a neighbor ?
Are only HELLO messages used for LQ calculations ?  Are TC, MID or HNA messages used ?
Is LQ from a neighbor recalculated on every incoming message from the neighbor or periodically ( i.e even an expected message is lost ? ) ?
If periodically - how is the period related to HelloInterval ?
Documentation refers to HelloInterval as to a period of _transmitting_ a HELLO message, so what if  neighbors has different HelloInterval settings, how olsrd calculates LQ then ?

Thank you .

Alexey Shinkin
Software engineer