[OLSR-users] help in setting Freifunk what should I do to have a seamless network on top of Freifunk routers?

Mathias Mahnke (spam-protected)
Fri Mar 24 06:17:13 CET 2006

Filipe Sampaio Rodrigues wrote:
> Hi Sven,
>
> Thanks a lot. All I want is that all the machines in our office
> (regardless of being wireless or LAN) could share the same network
> through the wrt54gs that we have spread around the area. so far, we can
> access to the internet without any problems, but we canĀ“t access servers
> which are connected to 1 of the wrt54g with freifunk.
>
> is that possible?

One other solution is, to run on every node (servers you want to reach
on the other side) also die olsrd deamon. In this case you can route
with olsr in your hole network.

example: clients(without olsr) [ lan port ] -> wrt1(olsr) -> [ wifi ] ->
wrt2(olsr) -> [ wan port ] -> server(olsr)

If you like, you can use the same ip-network on the wrts (wifi/wan
ports) as you already using for your server or vice versa.

Example Configuration (change it as you like):
wrt1-lan: 172.16.0.0/255.255.240.0
wrt1-wifi/wan: 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0
wrt2-wifi/wan: 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0
wrt1-lan: 172.16.0.0/255.255.240.0
servers: 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0
clients: 172.16.0.0/255.255.240.0

Of cause plug in your clients to lan-ports of the wrts, the servers to
wan-ports (just easier to configure, doesn't depend on the
hardware/firmware itself).

This serves you a lot of new olsr instances, may me not a quite
beautiful sollution -- me be interessenting with a small number of
servers you want to reach on both ends of your wifi connection.

On the other hand, have a closer look at the tunneling protocols (for
example bridging with openvpn via tap-interfaces), but be sure you get a
lot of traffic... :)

Ahoi
-mathias