[OLSR-users] Bellman-Ford instead of Dijkstra?

Sven-Ola Tuecke (spam-protected)
Wed Jun 14 09:47:01 CEST 2006

Thomas et al,

some notes from the more practical guiy:

- Current LQ is calculated on Hello-loss. Will be more accurate
  if changed to packet-loss.

- Bandwidth not considered: a link with 50% loss at 28mbit is
   better than a link with 25% at 1mbit (at least with real unicast
   applications beeing ACKed on the wifi level)

- Same for HNA. There is no qualified HNA (VDSL symmetric
  uplink should be preferred if compared to a modem uplink)

- Media change not considered: Routing through 2 disparate
  network interfaces on one device should be preferred, because
  this combi does not have the store-and-forward problem. Ex:

  [Ch10]==[Ch10]==[Ch10] is slower than
  [Ch10]==[Ch10/Ch01]==[Ch01] combined middle node.

  Xover can be assumed on Wifi/Ether & Wifi-Channelswitch

- Wifi/Mastermode repeats bcasts. To be punished by ETX-=0.5
   if more than one client. (netmask > 255.255.255.252)

- CPU load is the major limiter currently. Calculating an optimized
  path through a net uses to much of that. Radio / Streets / Social
  network: does not matter, this is a fundamental informatics problem
  encountered everywhere. Nodes-per-CPUspeed should be as high
  as possible.

Just a few cents of mine,
Sven-Ola