[OLSR-users] Non-OLSR ad-hoc client

Andreas Tønnesen (spam-protected)
Wed Jun 7 21:53:36 CEST 2006

Henning Wangerin wrote:
> The HELLO messages tells everybody who is near. There is no other way to
> do that.
>
> I don't se any other way than either natting the end-clients, or sening
> HNA for the entire subnet of each node.
>
> I'm running each node with a 10.128.x.1/24 address, so I have room for
> additional services. Some of my nodes rund dhcp on 10.128.192/26, and
> making these ip's available to the rest of the network requeires either
> natting or HNA
>
> There is no other way to do it
As I suggested earlier one can announce subnodes as MID addresses
which is definitly one other way of doing it.

Joe Bush wrote:

> Don't get me wrong. I am all for the idea of having all clients
> running olsr. I even have my wired PC running it. It is just not
> always practical (PocketPC, etc). I have been thinking about a pluging
> solution, but not sure it is possible. It seems like the main source
> would have to be changed so that all connected adhoc clients are
> automatically updated in the routing table, and the olsr protocol
> takes care hops, hna and such. But I see now that it would break with
> the specification which seems to require using HELLO messages to
> determine connectability.

It should be no problem implementing this as a plugin that manipulates
the MID set of olsrd.
Ofcause you need some sort of client-registration/keepalive/etc. scheme
between the GW and the clients.

- Andreas