[OLSR-users] Non-OLSR ad-hoc client

Joe Bush (spam-protected)
Wed Jun 7 18:19:17 CEST 2006

> freifunk uses an approach where every node has a pool of ip's handed out
> via dhcp to non-olsr-clients. These clients are then nat'ed to the ip of
> the node.

Oh, Freifunk has the radio working simultaneous in adhoc and ap mode,
routing traffic between the two. This saves hardware, and is an
interesting solution.

I was more interested in the idea of having clients connect in adhoc
mode and functioning as 'end-nodes', where olsr nodes would put these
nodes in the routing table. The problem is that, since these end-nodes
don't have olsr running they are essentially ignored.

Don't get me wrong. I am all for the idea of having all clients
running olsr. I even have my wired PC running it. It is just not
always practical (PocketPC, etc). I have been thinking about a pluging
solution, but not sure it is possible. It seems like the main source
would have to be changed so that all connected adhoc clients are
automatically updated in the routing table, and the olsr protocol
takes care hops, hna and such. But I see now that it would break with
the specification which seems to require using HELLO messages to
determine connectability.

Joe