[OLSR-users] Non-OLSR ad-hoc client

Henning Wangerin (spam-protected)
Wed Jun 7 18:01:01 CEST 2006

On Wed, 2006-06-07 at 15:34 +0200, Joe Bush wrote:
> So far I have gone under the assumption that wireless clients connecting to
> the OLSR network must also run OLSR. This seemed somewhat logical, but
> I was disappointed not to be able to use my PocketPC on the network.

freifunk uses an approach where every node has a pool of ip's handed out
via dhcp to non-olsr-clients. These clients are then nat'ed to the ip of
the node.

Works great, but again you need very short lease-times, and cannot have
persistant connections open while roaming.

> I just tested out a theory, however. Since each machine/ap running
> OLSR is essentially a router on top of an ad-hoc client, I configured
> my PocketPC to use a nearby node as my gateway.

If that node is also the internet-gateway it will work. Yes.

But the rest of the network can't speak with then node a the route to it
it is not broadcasted. This can be dealt with using a HNA entry on your
gateway, but thn you have no roaming.

--
Henning Wangerin <(spam-protected)>