[OLSR-users] Gateway changes break connection

Kosta Welke (spam-protected)
Mon Feb 27 18:32:07 CET 2006

Hi!

Short Remark: This is not about NAT problems.

I've got a network setup like this:

Network (non-olsr)
  |           |
box1        box2
     \       /
      +box3-+

box3 is connected to box1 and box2 using a wireless link (bluetooth).
On all 3 boxes runs olsrd on the wireless interfaces (box3 has 2
wireless interfaces because bluetooth works that way).
box1 and box2 both do NAT for box3.
box3 can connect to box1, box2 and any host on the network without any
problems, by using one of the boxes as gateway (say box1 is the gateway).

Now, when the link to box1 goes down, olsr detects it pretty quickly and
sets box2 as a new gateway. However, it seems that I need to restart
every connection, which is logical for TCP connections, but why is that
needed for UDP and ICMP?

Example:
I ping a host in the network. Link to box1 goes down. Ping says stuff
like "sendmsg: Invalid argument" instead of using the new gateway.
Restarting ping solves the problem.

Is there a way to fix this behavior? I need some UDP to work and dont
want to monitor olsr for connections breakage.

Kosta