[OLSR-users] re:Olsr Dhcp

Benjamin Henrion (spam-protected)
Fri Feb 24 13:43:40 CET 2006

Sven-Ola Tuecke <(spam-protected)> [060224]:
> Vinay, Bernd,
>
> ...bernd's right: I read that stuff here. Besides the technical issues, the
> OLSR-DHCP function was meant for attracting new users for mesh networking.
> Over time, focus has changed - so the DHCP function is a point one on my
> to-be-removed-list. Reasons:
>
> - For a stable network, we need a) long time users and b) people with a
> correct network setup and c) people using good antennas. This is generally
> not true for a) windows whiners, b) for client-firewall-block-it-all
> software and c) for PCMCIA card owners -> see the "how do i configure my pc
> for IP forwarding" thread.
>
> - It's more easy for non-experts to simply attach a cheap access point (go
> to the flea market and buy that stuff for $10) to the mesh device offering
> DHCP/NAT/Easy setups in their cafe / student flat / public room for that
> kind of function.
>
> - DHCP attracts the wrong folks, basically spongers.
>
> - Too many questions from blokes who refused to read their "Netmask and IP
> setup basic instructions for the entry level admin" manual.
>
> Hence my hint: Use IPv6 to deploy autoconfig. Use fixed IP settings
> otherwise.

Here in Brussels, we have used a DHCP server which returns the same IP
based on your mac address (like 10.xxx.yyy.zzz). It is a patched version
of udhcpd:

http://www.reseaucitoyen.be/wiki/index.php/PatchesUdhcpd

So you can install a DHCP server on each node, in order to do not take
care of the "Oh! but we need to allocate IPs, define IP ranges, etc...".