[OLSR-users] re:Olsr Dhcp

Bernd Petrovitsch (spam-protected)
Fri Feb 24 13:02:42 CET 2006

On Fri, 2006-02-24 at 17:21 +0530, Vinay Menon wrote:
> Thank you for the reply Bernd.
>
> Well i while i was searching for more information i found a freifunk
> firmware page
>
> (http://styx.commando.de/sven-ola/ffen/cgi-bin/olsrd.html) which has a
> term OLSR DHCP.Is that a part of olsr or would it be something that
> the developer might have modified in his firmware itself ?.

Sven-Ola is reading here AFAIK so he will correct me if I'm wrong:
IMHO this is a special FreiFunk feature since the FreiFunk net consists
if several (privately sponsored) Uplinks (to ordinary ISPs) with WLAN
connectivity where each Uplink must masquerade the traffic to the
Internet and the other FreiFunk uplinks. So you have one DHCP server on
one WLAN antenna which gives you a private IP address for that net.
It simply won't work in other way well (and I don't know if they need or
have DHCP relayer or not).

In Vienna the FunkFeuer net works very differently since we have public
IP adresses here und (most of) the nodes are directly linked via WLAN
connections and there is ATM one Uplink to the remaining Internet.

> I do not have a central DHCP assigning machine.The nearest node will
> assign a specific range of ip address.

If you have several independent running DHCP servers, each must handout
IP adresses from distinct networks (to avoid duplicates).
The next question is: Do you hand out public ("official") IP adresses or
private ones?

But the most important feature of this answer is: I never mentioned OLSR
or OLSRD here up to now since we are discussing ATM how to assign IP
adresses to hosts (both technically and administratively).
And both of FreiFunk and FunkFeuer use the very same (modulo version)
OLSRD.

	Bernd
          Embedded Linux Development and Services