[OLSR-users] OLSR network stability

Marc Quinton (spam-protected)
Sat Feb 4 14:44:03 CET 2006

where am I wrong ?

I'm using OLSR with a rather large network in a small town. Network density is
good to establish connexions between multiples routes.

Network is not stable at all. Route calculation a made every 5 seconds
(HelloInterval). OLSR is working with LinkQuality not hysteresis.

This is not a "mobile" netwrok but a static one. So what can I do ? My network
is made with Linksys Wrt54g, Openwrt, OLSR 0.49. I need to pay attention
to CPU load.

here is my parameters for OLSR :

Main address: 169.254.0.99      IP version: 4             Debug level: 0
Pollrate: 0.05                             TC redundancy: 0     MPR coverage: 1
TOS: 0x0010                              Willingness: 3
Hysteresis: Disabled                  Hyst scaling: 0.50     Hyst
lower/upper: 0.30/0.80
LQ extention: Enabled                LQ level: 2                LQ winsize: 50

below my config file.

#
# olsr.org OLSR daemon config file
#

# Should olsrd keep on running even if there are
# no interfaces available? This is a good idea
# for a PCMCIA/USB hotswap environment.
# "yes" OR "no"

AllowNoInt      yes

# TOS(type of service) value for
# the IP header of control traffic.
# If not set it will default to 16

#TosValue       16

# The fixed willingness to use(0-7)
# If not set willingness will be calculated
# dynamically based on battery/power status
# if such information is available

#Willingness            4

# Wether to use hysteresis or not
# Hysteresis adds more robustness to the
# link sensing but delays neighbor registration.
# Used by default. 'yes' or 'no'

UseHysteresis   no

# Hysteresis parameters
# Do not alter these unless you know
# what you are doing!
# Set to auto by default. Allowed
# values are floating point values
# in the interval 0,1
# THR_LOW must always be lower than
# THR_HIGH.

#HystScaling    0.50
#HystThrHigh    0.80
#HystThrLow     0.30

# Link quality level
# 0 = do not use link quality
# 1 = use link quality for MPR selection
# 2 = use link quality for MPR selection and routing
# Defaults to 0

LinkQualityLevel        2

# Link quality window size
# Defaults to 10

LinkQualityWinSize      50

# Polling rate in seconds(float).
# Default value 0.05 sec

Pollrate        0.05

# TC redundancy
# Specifies how much neighbor info should
# be sent in TC messages
# Possible values are:
# 0 - only send MPR selectors
# 1 - send MPR selectors and MPRs
# 2 - send all neighbors
#
# defaults to 0

TcRedundancy    0

#
# MPR coverage
# Specifies how many MPRs a node should
# try select to reach every 2 hop neighbor
#
# Can be set to any integer >0
#
# defaults to 1

MprCoverage     1

Interface "eth1" "eth2"
{

   # IPv4 broadcast address to use. The
   # one usefull example would be 255.255.255.255
   # If not defined the broadcastaddress
   # every card is configured with is used

   # Ip4Broadcast              255.255.255.255

   # IPv6 address scope to use.
   # Must be 'site-local' or 'global'

   # Ip6AddrType               site-local

   # IPv6 multicast address to use when
   # using site-local addresses.
   # If not defined, ff05::15 is used

   # Ip6MulticastSite          ff05::11

   # IPv6 multicast address to use when
   # using global addresses
   # If not defined, ff0e::1 is used

   # Ip6MulticastGlobal        ff0e::1

   # Emission intervals.
   # If not defined, RFC proposed values will
   # be used in most cases.

   # Hello interval in seconds(float)
   HelloInterval    5.0

   # HELLO validity time
   HelloValidityTime   20.0

   # TC interval in seconds(float)
   TcInterval        15.0

   # TC validity time
   TcValidityTime      60.0

   # MID interval in seconds(float)
   MidInterval 15.0

   # MID validity time
   MidValidityTime     60.0

   # HNA interval in seconds(float)
   HnaInterval 15.0

   # HNA validity time
   HnaValidityTime     60.0

   # When multiple links exist between hosts
   # the weight of interface is used to determine
   # the link to use. Normally the weight is
   # automatically calculated by olsrd based
   # on the characteristics of the interface,
   # but here you can specify a fixed value.
   # Olsrd will choose links with the lowest value.

   # Weight 0

}