[OLSR-users] WLAN and Broadcasts (e.g. OLSR)

Nikolaos Tsarmpopoulos (spam-protected)
Fri Apr 28 17:17:06 CEST 2006

Hi,

I can confirm that this was a major issue on our network in Volos,
Greece (http://vmesh.inf.uth.gr/). Specifically, when there was a file
transfer between two nodes, broadcast packets used for HELLO messages
around these nodes were lost (due to collisions, I suppose) resulting in
unstable connections.

Also, I recall that someone suggested in the list the solution of
broadcasting + unicasting of HELLO messages, where broadcasting aims at
detecting new nodes, while unicasting aims at checking if known
neighbors are still reachable. I haven't checked latest features of
olsrd, but I think it is a planned feature for the new
(non-OLSR-compliant) version of the protocol.

Regards,

Nikos