[OLSR-users] atheros openbsd free hal and full duplex radio in 802.11a?

Jeromie Reeves (spam-protected)
Fri Nov 18 04:12:04 CET 2005

Jim Thompson wrote:

> Benjamin Henrion wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was confused about some rumors from a friend to have a full duplex
>> radio in 802.11a.
>>
>> After some research, I found out that the atheros ar5xxx is a software
>> radio, and that it uses 2 channels in 5ghz to have a 108MB/s mode.
>>
>> I think there were some discussions at WTH about having a modified
>> version of the openbsd openhal to have a full duplex radio.
>>

> Full duplex radio (in the same channel) is a 100dB problem.

This is not possible with Atheros or any other software 802.11 radio
that I know of.
The cause is that they just change the channel bandwidth from 22 mhz to
44 mhz. This
can now be set to 5 and 10mhz but so far only with specific drivers. I
would love to see
the come to windows.

>> The main problem right now with OLSR is the half duplex layer of the
>> radio, where bandwidth is decreasing after 4 or 5 hops.
>>

> Can you solve this with two radios running in different bands? Part of
> this is also due to the CSMA/CA
> nature of the MAC. Perhaps you and your friends could design a TDMA
> like MAC for use on top of
> either the "openbsd" or "closed" HALs, and a method for syncronizing
> the clocks used in the MAC (note that I'm not talking 'ntp' here, much
> less the much-less stable (in terms of true time) implementation found
> in openbsd.)

Mikrotik made Nstream and Nstream2. This drasticly alters the HAL's.
They have polling too.

>> Are there any plans to help the openbsd coders in that project?
>>
> Given that the "openbsd hal" is clearly (*) not 'reverse engineered',
> I advise against anyone in
> the olsr community getting wrapped into potential contributary
> (copyright) infringement. Working on the code above the HAL is
> obviously fine, but working on the "openbsd hal" or shipping it could
> be a huge mistake.

That would not be good. Maybe a group could get together and obtain the
atheros source and produce a project from it?