[OLSR-users] LQ Routing and 802.11b Link Speed

Andrew Hodel (spam-protected)
Thu May 19 08:18:29 CEST 2005

I have a network of about 20 nodes running olsr 0.4.9 where I am having
problems.  For example lets say we have 3 nodes, A B and C.

A and B connect at 11Mbit/s, B and C connect at 11Mbit/s, however A and
C are connected at 2Mbit/s

For some reason node C choses a direct path, and does not use B as a
hop.  Going through B would be faster.  I can only guess the reason for
this is because there are no lost packets so the LQ is perfect?

If this is the case, would the best solution be to set all radios to
only operate in 5.5 or 11Mbit/s mode.  I may also need to modify my
configuration to better fit the situation.

If anyone can offer any insight, please do.  Below is the olsr
configuration I am using on each node. (note this configuration is for
an HNA node, the others do not have an Hna4 section but other then that
they are all exactly the same)

Thanks,
Andrew Hodel

mnode1:~# cat /etc/olsrd.conf
DebugLevel      0
IpVersion       4
Hna4
{
0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0
}
AllowNoInt      yes
Willingness     6
UseHysteresis   no
LinkQualityLevel        2
LoadPlugin "olsrd_httpinfo.so.0.1"
{
         PlParam "Net"   "0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0"
         PlParam "port"  "8080"
}
LoadPlugin "olsrd_nameservice.so.0.2"
{
         PlParam "name"  "mnode1"
         PlParam "hosts-file"    "/var/run/hosts_olsr"
}
Pollrate        0.05
Interface "wlan0"
{
     Ip4Broadcast                255.255.255.255
}