[OLSR-users] Error with multiple interfaces

Thomas Lopatic (spam-protected)
Wed Jun 22 11:30:58 CEST 2005

>> Ok, olsrd now starts without error. But debug output shows nothing and
>> olsrd doesn't seem to receive anything from the net... However, it's
>> sending broadcasts on both interfaces.
>
> Yes, that was exactly what I saw in my quick test too.

Aaaaaaah. Okay, I see. Windows is different here. Hmm. Does the following
sound like a solution?

* Have a single socket that is shared by all interfaces, which binds to
0.0.0.0.

* In addition, have an individual socket for each interface that binds to
the interface address.

We would then receive packets via the former and send packets via the
latter. This might be what Samba does. At least I see it bind to my
interfaces and, in addition, to 0.0.0.0. We just need a way to find out
via which interface we received the datagram, as the socket is shared by
all interfaces.

Google says that others have also had this problem already and that the
only way of receiving UDP broadcasts on all platforms is binding to
0.0.0.0.

Thanks for testing, Holger!

-Thomas