[OLSR-users] network problems

Jeromie Reeves (spam-protected)
Fri Jun 17 19:16:19 CEST 2005

Andrew Hodel wrote:

>Our network, with 23 nodes is having serious issues with packet loss
>and dying connections on a few nodes.  Regardless of a route change,
>should ssh stay connected?  We have rts at 64 and frag set to 256, ssh
>last about 3 seconds on any route over 3 hops.  We have tried rate
>5.5M fixed to avoid lossy links.  You can't even view 640x480 images
>on the web, by the time the image is finished the connection has
>dropped and you get 1/3 of it.  LQ on the links is reported as 1 or
>.9, at the lowest .8 and these are the links with problems.  Is there
>anything I can do to fix this, would hysterisis resolve this?

Did this just suddenly happen or did it come on slowly? If sudden, its
possble you have a flood of network traffic.
If slowly, noise or over all traffic could be causing it (along with a
dozen other things). To see if its noise do pings
from each node to every node it can see with in 1 hop. Also look at the
latency, if the link spikes from 3~4ms to
100's of ms, then there is something wrong. Mostly that will be the AP
hearing other AP's (and thus waiting for its
turn to transmit) or noise.

>You can view an image of our network at: http://www.nxwi.com/pa_map.png

Nice map, What did you generate that with?

>Nodes # 17,5,19,6,22,8,and 7 have these problems.  I realize they are
>the farthest, however the LQ is .9 or 1.

I did not find them all, but they are also all grouped together from the
looks of it. That would sugest to me a very
strong AP is, or a set of APs are, in those areas. Pings will tell, lost
pings is interferance, ping times with lots of jitter
is a AP waiting to TX.

>The hna node is node 1.

Draw some links on that map, that could help point to a area that is
causing this issue. Have you gone looking for other
AP's on the same channel as you?