[OLSR-users] LQ Routing and 802.11b Link Speed

aaron (spam-protected)
Wed Jun 15 12:32:43 CEST 2005

On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 12:16:16PM +0200, Holger Mauermann wrote:
> Bruno Randolf wrote:
> >to get the expected transmission times we would have to send unicast
> >packets to each neighbor (the current HELLO packets are broadcast
> >with the lowest basic rate) which can result in a lot of additionally
> >used bandwidth.
>
> yes, but the link speed usually doesn't change very often (with fixed
> stations), e.g. the link to one of my neighbors changes 5 to 10 times
> per hour between 18, 24 and 36 Mbps and a bad 1 Mbps link always stays
> at 1 Mbps. So I think it's adequate if the packet-pair to measure the
> bandwidth is sent at intervals of several minutes.

hm, here (lots of WLAN equipment, everything is a bit more dense than
in Berlin, streets are more narrow etc) we experience frequent changes
in bandwidth rate. I guess that depends very much on the physical topology
and RF interference.

cheers,
aaron.