[OLSR-users] Getting started with OLSR

Mike McKay (spam-protected)
Mon Jul 25 16:01:19 CEST 2005

Sven-Ola Tuecke wrote:
> Mike,
>
> the link you mentioned states, that the HNA4 settings is working
> unexpectedly. Too bad. You do not need this normally. Additionally, the
> author has not investgated deep enough. He tried to manually change the
> olsrd.conf - but this file is under control. You need to use the Web UI,
> theres /etc/local.olsrd.conf and /etc/local.olsrd.conf.[iface] for
> additions.

Hmm. HNA4 - yeah I was a bit confused about this one - see below...

> If thats all you needed to read for mesh setup, I will call it a great
> success :)

Yeah, I would definitely call it a success. Of course I am far from
understanding it all - but that is where great default settings help
thos like me. Thanks!

> Anyhow, people tend to fiddle with HNA4 setting and manual routes too
> much. Note: The Freifunk Firmware does not allow you to configure an
> unworking/blocked standard gateway aka. Default Route. If you have a
> working manual defroute (with Metric==0), the "internet here"
> anncouncement is switched on automatically with a simple
> dyn-gateway-plugin. If your defroute is not working, it's placed in a
> second background routing table - so the cron job can check if inet is
> coming back and reannounce HNA4.
>
> If you plan to include other link techniques: That's easy. Just plug in
> the ethernet wire of the link technique and assign a mesh-compatible IP.
> Which link technique? Does not matter (e.g. ethernet as well as
> http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1149.html should work) as long as the OLSR
> broadcast datagram goes through).

At the moment I want every client connected via either the ethernet
interface or via the wireless interface to be able to ping one another.
It sounds like I should take out my HNA4 settings completely - is that
right?