[OLSR-users] missing default route on redundant path

Andreas Tønnesen (spam-protected)
Wed Jan 26 19:15:44 CET 2005

Hi Dennis,

Thomas will probably be able to fill you much more in on the
details here since he's in charge of the LQ stuff, but
here are my 0.02$:
In 0.4.8 HNA routes was not calculated using the shortest
path LQ algorithm, but rather using the RFC specified
algorithm. My guess is that this is what causes your problems.
This has been fixed in current CVS code - so you could try
grabbing a snapshot and running it at node D. Hopefully
that solves the problem :)

- Andreas

dennis khoo wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a particular scenario using 0.4.8 that I'm
> testing and 1 node(D) seems to be missing a default
> route depending on which other node is up.  The setup
> is as follows:
>
>                      gateway to internet
>                              |ethernet
>                node A with 2 radios and 1 ethernet
>                    /                    \
>                   / wifi                 \wifi
>                  /                        \
>         node B with 2 radios       node C with 2
> radios
>                  \                         /
>                   \wifi                   /wifi
>                    \                     /
>                     node D with 2 radios
>

> olsrd.conf details:
> 1) Both radios on all nodes are configured to run olsr
> via the interface optionblock.
> 1) Only node A has Hna4 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 configured.
> 2) All nodes has Willingess 7
> 3) All nodes has LinkQualityLevel	2
> 4) default setting for other parameters
>
> Problem:
> When both radios are running on all nodes, node D does
> not see a default route in its routing table but B and
> C does.  This is a problem since I cannot ping say the
> ethernet interface on node A from node D because A's
> ethernet interface has an IP that is not on any
> network on D's routing table)  If I turn off node C or
> node B, then node D sees the default route.  I guess
> the problem is that there are 2 possible routes to
> node A if both C and B are turned on... I don't know
> what happens to the default route on D.
>

> Any help is deeply appreciated and thanks for the
> great work Andreas, Thomas et al.
>
> dennis

Andreas Tønnesen
http://www.olsr.org