[OLSR-users] multiple interfaces?

Thomas Lopatic (spam-protected)
Sun Jan 23 14:39:10 CET 2005

> While the multiple interface scenario seems to work quite well for many
> people, [...]

Oh, wait a second. I should have added "on the Linux platform."
Depending on your network configuration, you might run into problems on
other platforms. If both interfaces are in the same subnet, i.e. if they
use the same subnet broadcast address, then this is currently only
guaranteed to work on the Linux platform.

Suppose you're using 192.168.0.x as your network, 192.168.0.1 for
interface 1, 192.168.0.2 for interface 2, and 192.168.0.255 as your
subnet broadcast address. Als OLSR is based on broadcasts, olsrd would
then use 192.168.0.255 for sending its packets.

Our problem on FreeBSD, NetBSD, Mac OS X, and Windows currently is that
it seems that we cannot tell the OS via which interface we want a packet
with a destination address of 192.168.0.255 to be sent. However, for
OLSR to work properly, it is necessary that we're able to say, well, we
have two packets A and B that both go to 192.168.0.255, but we want
packet A to be sent via interface 1 and packet B to be sent via interface 2.

-Thomas