[OLSR-users] Re: OLSRd configuration with multiple channels

Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa (spam-protected)
Sun Aug 14 21:35:53 CEST 2005

Hi!

aaron wrote:

>Jose,
>
>  at least in the EU 802.11a seems to be ok.. because they allowed for
>1Watt outdoor (but stay away from radars)
>So I _guess_ that 802.11a should be really ok actually. But I would be
>happy if anybody has some more experience on it.

I live in Venezuela, and they allow 1W Isotropic Radiated Power for
802.11a/b/g (wich almost no one use to respect).

But that's not the problem, The problem is that I would need 802.11a (I
haven't found any) amplifiers, and the amplifiers use to cost more than
a network card.

>>I thought to use channel 1 and 4 because the channels from 6,8 and 10
>>are all used by people that must be crazy: they are using 1W amplifiers
>>

>Another experience: if people don't use channels 1-4 then
>maybe there is a reason for it: bad SNR ;-)

Well, I'm using channel 2 because no one else is there, and I have a
-92dB noise level. I had -90 noise level in the channel 9 (because of
these high power networks), I found that these networks were there after
I got tired of experiencing outages, then I installed kismet and took a
look at the air, and I found that I had one network in the channel 8 and
the other in the 10 (I was using channel 9), then I moved to channel 2.

But I think that I should do a wardriving in the city in order to
evaluate the band usage.

I'll do that sometime in the next week.

c-ya!