[OLSR-users] Network stability

John Gorkos (spam-protected)
Thu Apr 28 18:08:49 CEST 2005

Guys-
  I'm having a problem with net network routing changing too rapidly.
I've got 28 routers in system, and most routers can see four or five other
routers.  The routes seem to shift several times per second, and the route
changes are causing problems for my users.

For example:  right now I've got a customer that is geographically smack dab
in the middle of the network.  He was complaining of a lot of dropouts, so I
put a 12db antenna on his router.  His SNR to the tower is better than 25 DB,
but when olsr is running, I lose about 15% of all ping packets to him.  When
I turn off olsrd and run static routing, I have 0% packet loss (both over 5
minute runs).

What I'm looking for is a way to lock down my routes so that they are a little
more stable, and perhaps back off on the amount of OLSR traffic in the
network.  It's a pretty static network, with few problems with LOS or noise,
but I'm getting more and more complaints about lag, jitter, and overall poor
service.

What parameters can I tweak to help fix things up?

John Gorkos