[OLSR-users] Default routing question

John Gorkos (spam-protected)
Fri Mar 26 22:19:55 CET 2004

On Saturday 27 March 2004 00:47, Andreas Tønnesen wrote:

> Well - you should time olsrd to start after all initialization. But then
> again - such a plugin would regulary poll for a default route so if it
> is not set up at startup it would be discovered at the next poll. So if
> one polls every 10 seconds it would be discovered 10 seconds later - you
> could probably accept that?
I agree with the timing, but in an embedded device, the consumer is going to
want it to work as soon as it's plugged in.  they have no concept of boot
wait, or initialization, or race conditions.  We know better, but that's
reality.  A polling plugin that would detect when an external process has
added a default route would be fantastic.  A 10 second lag between the time
the DHCP daemon actually inserted the route and when it would be available
via olsr is completely acceptable.

> >>I would say so. If mobility is low the control traffic emission
> >>intervals could be set up(longer intervals). This greatly reduces
> >>overhead - expecially for flooded traffic.
> >
> > I'll experiment with values and report on the best that I find.
>
> That's good. I think this kind of real-life experiment would be much
> appreciated by the MANET community.
I have a lot riding on this working, and I owe a lot of it to the OSS
community, so any payback I can make...
Thanks again for the work.  I'll look at the plugin code, but it's like a
monkey with a toaster:  most of its over my head.