[OLSR-users] Bug/feature?: hosts of the same LAN in the routing table

Andreas Tønnesen (spam-protected)
Tue Jul 6 10:15:03 CEST 2004

Hi,
Well, since OLSR is not responsible for setting up the aggregated route
(this is often done by the network interface configuration tool),
then it would just be extra work for OLSR to check for such routes
when adding 1 hop neighbors - because you cannot assume there is
always such a route. And you cannot assume that all your neighbors
are on the same subnet as your interface.
And IMO since OLSR uses host based routing it is better to be consistent
and always add one entry pr. target interface.

-  Andreas

Jens Nachtigall wrote:
>>>#1 is on LAN #5
>>>#2 and #3 are on LAN #6
>>>
>>>Is there any need to include host addresses #1, #2 and #3 in the
>>>routing table, since they are directly reachable through the LAN?
>>
>>yes this is how mesh routing works.
>

> Yes, sure. The thing is that the mentioned host addresses are just one
> hop away, from my point of view olsrd could notice that they are
> somewhat redundant, since there is already one sufficient entry (the
> one for the lan) within the routing table. Hence, the routing table
> would be smaller. Or what is wrong with that perspektive?
>
> Jens

Andreas Tønnesen((spam-protected))
UniK University Graduation Center
University of Oslo