[OLSR-users] Load balancing and registry changes?!

Andreas Tønnesen (spam-protected)
Thu Dec 23 12:39:11 CET 2004

Hi,

> 1.) If the 54mbit WLAN connection of one node(that with the best signal)in
> the network is currently used for one large file transfer (all bandwith
> taken), will a new connection from an other pc also go throug this busy
> node
> or will it look for alternative nodes(signal not so good but more speed
> than
> the busy one)?

OLSR does not take taffic load into consideration when calculating routes.
Hopcount is the only metric, and link stability is based on either only
the HELLO mechanism or this combined with hysteresis.
The ETX link quality extentions will calculate routes based on
calculated/announced link quality, but this again is not traffic-balance
aware.
However, since high load can result in UDP traffic getting lost, traffic
can affect link quality.

> 2.) How can I undo the registry change OLSR makes on first start in
> Windows
> XP. What does this registry entry do?

As far as I know the only changes to the registry is disabling of ICMP
redirect messages. Thomas(who's written the win32 code) will know more
about this. But ICMP redirects are really not needed unless your windows
box is acting as a (serious) router.

- Andreas

---------
Andreas Tønnesen