[OLSR-users] Regular data broadcasting in ad hoc networks

Roar Bjørgum Rotvik (spam-protected)
Sat Dec 18 12:08:35 CET 2004

lolo wrote:
> Hi all
>
> This maybe has been answered many times and everywhere but i can't find
> a short and final answer to that basic question :
> In an ad hoc network, with a routing protocol installed on every node,
> all the nodes having a valid address in the same common subnetwork,
> 192.168.1.0/24 for example, would a basic broadcast message will be
> (re)transmitted to every member of the subnet as in a wired network
> segment ? a crude command sample could be ping -b 192.168.1.0 or more
> useful ones like iperf or netperf

A short and final answer is that broadcast from an Ad Hoc node is only
reachable to the one-hop neighbors.
To "broadcast" information to all the nodes, even the ones several hops
away, you need some kind of flooding mechanism (nodes must forward the
broadcast info). But you also should keep in mind that if every node
forwards data like this, some nodes will receive duplicate data..

There are ways to optimize this, but I haven't got time for a long
explanation right now :)

> I would accept long answers too... ;-)

Sorry not from me right now..

--