[Olsr-dev] [Battlemesh] OLSR/Babel/BMX7 in docker/kubernetes

Philipp Borgers (spam-protected)
Wed Jul 10 08:41:13 CEST 2019

On Tue, Jul 09, 2019 at 12:09:08PM +0200, Benjamin Henrion wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 9, 2019 at 11:17 AM Benjamin Henrion <(spam-protected)> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I managed to run OLSR in my local Kubernetes (I use K3D):
> >
> > https://github.com/zoobab/olsrd-in-docker
> >
> > I have tried to do the same for Babel and BMX7, but I failed, I
> > suspect the cause for Babel is IPv6:
> >
> > https://github.com/zoobab/babeld-in-docker
> >
> > If anyone wants to try debugging, I might at WBM this week (still
> > don't know which day though).
>
> Just added some examples on how to run 20 nodes with Babeld containers
> in kubernetes using K3D cluster, using the scale up from 10 nodes:
>
> https://github.com/zoobab/babeld-in-docker
>
> I have not tried to see how many containers I could run in parallel on
> my machine.

Cool stuff! I used docker as well to emulate networks and test some ideas I have
concerning prefix delegation in mesh networks. I faced some
problems/difficulties when I started to play around with protocols that are
implemented in the kernel. At some point I decided to switch to libvirt and
kvm/qemu. I wrote two rudimentary scripts that can create bridges to emulate
links between the nodes and can create and start VMs (openwrt based). You
provide a very simple json file that describes the topology and the scripts do
the setup. The scripts are in python. If you like I can push them to github. I
still have some problems with the bridges. You have to specify them in
/etc/qemu/bridge.conf before running the script :/

Maybe one should take a closer look at all the network emulators out there? Can
someone recommend a emulator for our use cases?

By the way you can also use linux network namespaces and virtual interfaces if
you only test the routing protocols. Did this in the past as well.

Best Philipp