[Olsr-dev] Improving SPF with binary heaps

Diogo Gonçalves (spam-protected)
Mon Oct 26 05:27:32 CET 2015

Hi,

I did some tests on core and I got a initial result by now. I built on core
a mesh network with 50, 100 and 150 nodes and 100, 200 and 300 links,
respectively. Unfortunately my hardware isn't able to run more nodes.

The graph (attached) shows, as expected, that avl is a little bit better
than heap in those networks

On the basis of my study, binary heap is near to avl in small/medium-sized
mesh, however, from 800 nodes heap significantly outperform avl. My tests
on core weren't enough to prove this, I need to test it in a bigger mesh
network. I'll try to run core on one of the computers at my college's
computer lab.

I used valgrind/callgrind to get the functions' cpu cycles and I did a
graph with the cycles estimation per call. I can attach the callgrind files
if you want.

Best regards.