[Olsr-dev] Announce stuff with olsrd2

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Sun Nov 8 17:03:27 CET 2015

On Sun, Nov 8, 2015 at 1:14 PM, Philipp Borgers <(spam-protected)> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just had a very quick look at the olsrd2 plugins and wondered how to write a
> plugin that announces some stuff. I guess I have to define a new message format
> or payload and write a handler for those messages.

You could use the same packet format that is used by NHDP (RFC6130)
and OLSRv2 (RFC7181)... it was defined in RFC5444 and there is a
generic subsystem (oonf_rfc5444) to generate and parse messages.

> Can someone give me a few
> pointers in the right direction to speed up the process.

I think starting with a look into the neighbor_probing subsystem would
be a good start... it contains the (nearly) minimal code to define a
new RFC5444 message and send a single TLV inside the message.

There is also the simple_security plugin that both sends and receive
some RFC5444 data.

all of them use the same mechanism used by the nhdp and olsrv2
subsystem to handle the data format.

> By the way, I find the --help option of olsrd2 a bit confusing. E.g. it's not
> clear to me how to increase log level or run in forground/background. I couldn't
> find this after issuing olsrd2 --help :/

as the "--help" command tries to explain, you can set ANY kind of
option through the "--set" parameter. In fact "--set" feeds into the
same configuration storage than anything you load from a configuration
file with "--load".

so if your configuration entry would be

[global]
    fork   no

then you can do the same with "--set global.fork=no".

Maybe the wiki page about configuration can help you:
http://www.olsr.org/mediawiki/index.php/OONF_Configuration