[Olsr-dev] Migration from olsrd v1 to v2

Bastian Bittorf (spam-protected)
Mon Jul 27 23:31:05 CEST 2015

* Ferry Huberts <(spam-protected)> [27.07.2015 23:18]:
> >>IMHO you shouldn't abuse olsr (a routing protocol) to distribute user data.
> >
> >i'am not sure about this "conservative" opinion.
>
> How is this conservative?
> What the heck are you talking about?

that OLSR needs e.g. information from layer1 which is
considered as a 'bad idea' in the old *conservative* days.

> >now we know that layer3 need to know something
> >about layer1+2 for better routing...
>
> You misunderstand.
> You explained it partly yourself: layer X can use services of lower layers.
> What you left out is that layer X can NOT use services of higher layers.

normally only direct connected layers "should" share data.
OLSR needs informations from layer1. this is *advanced* and also
the idea of distributing data over the network with the knowledge
if the network topology itself.

> The purpose of a routing protocol is to fill the OS routing tables.
> It is NOT olsr that know best how to get data from A to B, it is the OS.

this is true for direct neighbours, but the OS has no idea of the
network topology - but OLSR has it.

> >this means: when we distribute data with standard tools
> >(e.g. multicast) it will not work in a mesh network. what
> >are the "products" you have in mind?
>
> See my other email

the java stuff?

bye, bastian