[Olsr-dev] [Olsr-users] [SUGGESTION] Interface no up and/or running

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Mon Jun 17 10:11:45 CEST 2013

On 06/17/2013 09:35 AM, Ferry Huberts wrote:
>> We tried to look more into this and it seems the problem went away on
>> one machine when we deinstalled the Network Manager.
>>
>> @Matteo: can you maybe see if this could also be the source of your
>> problem?
>>

> If that is the case then IMHO olsrd does it wrong.
> I googled a bit around and found
>
>    http://www.xml.com/ldd/chapter/book/ch14.html#t3
>
> which says
>
>> IFF_UP
>>
>>      This flag is read-only for the driver. The kernel turns it on when the interface is active and ready to transfer packets.
>
>> IFF_RUNNING
>>
>>      This flag indicates that the interface is up and running. It is mostly present for BSD compatibility; the kernel makes little use of it. Most network drivers need not worry about IFF_RUNNING.

Not sure its this clear...

I found discussions about linux kernel drivers that say "iff_up" is
administrative status (set by the kernel core) while iff_running is an
operative status (which can be set by the kernel driver).

> So IMHO the patch from Matteo is actually right, we should remove the
> use of IFF_RUNNING.

If the flags differ depending on if you use the Network Manager or not
then Network Manager is broken.

Henning Rogge

--
Diplom-Informatiker Henning Rogge , Fraunhofer-Institut für
Kommunikation, Informationsverarbeitung und Ergonomie FKIE