[Olsr-dev] reduce OLSR bandwidth by tuning emission intervals

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Tue Feb 26 20:21:08 CET 2013

As long as you build a hierarchy of routing protocols you should be fine.

One OSPF (or whatever) core that is connected to lots of OLSR meshs
(even multiple connections to the same one).

You either have a direct connection towards the target or you go ONCE
through the OSPF network.

But I am not sure how well OSPF takes the fast changing metrics within
the OLSR networks. If you have multiple connections to the same mesh,
finding a good link towards nodes in this mesh is a bit tricky.

Henning Rogge

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 8:13 PM, Teco Boot <(spam-protected)> wrote:
> Think of commercial routers in the backbone, running OSPF. There are OpenVPN servers connected to this backbone, where quagga can insert routes in the backbone routing domain. As soon as the tunnel is up, the corresponding route is injected. OpenVPN stores in kernel table, quagga redistributes into OSPF.
>
> So MANET router running OLSR and OpenVPN can select an OpenVPN server and attach to it. It has a set of routes via the tunnel (10/8, 172.16/12 and 192.168/16). VPN server or any Internet host is reached using default gateway (hey, use SmartGateway:-). Al destinations in private space are reached via private network, e.g. the OpenVPN tunnels and in some cases via the backbone.
>
> One may prefer ISIS over OSPF (today not in quagga), or add BGP.
>
> One may dislike all these MANET router prefixes in the backbone. But such is minor related to the overhead of OLSR on the VPN tunnels !!!!
>
> Teco
>
> Op 26 feb. 2013, om 19:13 heeft Saverio Proto het volgende geschreven:
>
>>> Today, I use route injection in backbone with OpenVPN scripts (and quagga to inject in OSPF backbone).
>>
>> do you mean quagga to inject routes into OLSR ? or really you meant OSPF ?
>>
>> Saverio

We began as wanderers, and we are wanderers still. We have lingured
long enough on the shores of the cosmic ocean. We are ready at last to
set sail for the stars - Carl Sagan