[Olsr-dev] "sendto(v4): Network is unreachable"

Hans-Christoph Steiner (spam-protected)
Thu Feb 14 18:11:23 CET 2013

On 02/14/2013 11:53 AM, Jo-Philipp Wich wrote:
>> About this broadcast thing, I can't imagine why Mac OS X would not
>> allow 255.255.255.255 broadcasts, do you know of any documentation
>> on this issue?
>
> No, but we tested this setup several years ago and it just didn't work
> until we had choosen a broadcast address fitting the actual interface
> configuration (in our case 104.255.255.255 for 104.0.0.0/8).
>
> The most relevant piece of info I found with a quick google search is
> http://lists.apple.com/archives/macnetworkprog/2010/Dec/msg00006.html
>
> So according to the post above, it is not that it is not allowed, but
> the behaviour Ip stack is useless and/or undefined for global broadcast.

Ah thanks, I searched around but didn't find anything.  That link was helpful.
 It turns that on Mac OS X, when you send a 255.255.255.255 broadcast, it only
sends it out of the first network interface it finds.  So you need to use the
more targeted broadcast to ensure it goes out the interface you want it to.

.hc