[Olsr-dev] [OpenWrt-Devel] package olsr / compiler bug on ARM / MIPS when using -Os

Felix Fietkau (spam-protected)
Sun Sep 23 10:13:34 CEST 2012

On 2012-09-23 9:23 AM, Bastian Bittorf wrote:
>> > i tested a fresh build of openwrt r33502.
>> > this changed nothing 8-( i will now build an
>> > image without "-Os" ...
>
>> If you can get me a very simple test case that I can use to
>> reproduce
>> this issue, I will look into it.
>
> sorry, no simple testcase. It works without any problems
> when i simply recompile everyhting without "-Os":
>
> sed -i 's/-Os //' ".config"
> sed -i 's/-Os //' "include/target.mk"
>
> and in target/linux/$arch/config*
>
> CONFIG_CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE is not set
>
> interesting for me: the image did not
> grow in size (or only within the 64k-border).
>
> Maybe should make a new subtarget for brcm47xx
> with CPU BCM4702/4710 ( see https://lists.openwrt.org/pipermail/openwrt-devel/2012-August/016595.html)
I strongly disagree. Instead of piling one crappy workaround on top of
another other and messing with all kinds of unrelated variables just
because it *might* have something to do with it, let's just approach
this in a rational and sane manner.

First of all: what's the fastest possible way to see if 'it works' or
not? Can I check this without having to have a whole olsr network here,
e.g. just one or two nodes (preferably just one)?

Is it in any way hardware specific so that the same image would work on
one device and fail on another? Or does it only matter what target it
was built for?

I want to get to the point where I can test *specific* compiler
optimizations individually, since apparently everybody else here who can
reproduce the problem is either unable or unwilling to do these simple
things.

- Felix