[Olsr-dev] olsrd-extension to spread database trough the net

rene (spam-protected)
Tue Oct 30 22:58:57 CET 2012

Hi,

On 10/30/2012 09:12 PM, Henning Rogge wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 9:05 PM, Bastian Bittorf <(spam-protected)> wrote:
>> example for our usecase:
>
> I can easily see an usecase... I just want to talk about if this
> should be within the routing protocol or not.

Right, a good question. By intention of the routing protocol, it
shouldn't. But olsrd does the job of efficiently spreading some
information that well, why it shouldn't spread more than only tc messages?

The nameservice-plugin was the initial motivation, which does the same,
just uses a separate message to spread information about available
services. The service-part has nothing to do with routing, but works great.

The dataservice-plugins are doing the same as the nameservice-plugin,
just with some more generalized interface to generate or receive the
data. If it should be part of a routing protocol, maybe not. But it was
an easy and straight way of using the plugin infrastructure of olsrd
instead of creating some own flooding daemon, and others might benefit
from the existing code - therefore yes :)

>> we have a user database (e.g. login-credentials or special properties
>> for some mac-addresses). ofcourse you can centralize that and let
>> the routers talk to each other if needed (e.g. via https), but much faster
>> is a local query, which is possible, if you there is a way to have a recent
>> copy of your central database.
right. We use it for up-to-date information about the network nodes.
This information is now easily available everywhere in the net - you
only have to run the service and you will get a database with all the
information. It's way easier that a centralised attempt and can be
queried locally for map-creation etc.

nice regards,
Rene