[Olsr-dev] olsrd-extension to spread database trough the net

Teco Boot (spam-protected)
Tue Oct 30 21:54:45 CET 2012

Op 30 okt. 2012, om 21:12 heeft Henning Rogge het volgende geschreven:

> On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 9:05 PM, Bastian Bittorf <(spam-protected)> wrote:
>> example for our usecase:
>
> I can easily see an usecase... I just want to talk about if this
> should be within the routing protocol or not.
>
>> we have a user database (e.g. login-credentials or special properties
>> for some mac-addresses). ofcourse you can centralize that and let
>> the routers talk to each other if needed (e.g. via https), but much faster
>> is a local query, which is possible, if you there is a way to have a recent
>> copy of your central database.
>
>> how can this be solved with a daemon? multicast maybe
>> next step can be something like a "HNA4" ("message") announcement,
>> which every router can update without restarting the daemon 8-)
>
> OLSR does only multicast between the neighbors too.
No. OLSR provides a transport of messages, that should be flooded in an efficient way. Many routing protocols do support such. I say: all grown up routing protocols do (link state, BGP is another example).

Maybe an API for message distribution could be the way forward. This is more efficient than multicast (like BMF).
mdns / p2pd are examples. pud is another.
Has the packetbb iplementation such an API, so messages from another daemon are merged with hello / tc messages in same IP packet?

BTW, we need to fix mpr flooding some day (in v2 is fine).

Teco