[Olsr-dev] -Werror. WAS: Android build & regex

Hans of Guardian (spam-protected)
Mon Oct 15 16:57:38 CEST 2012

On Oct 15, 2012, at 5:29 AM, Ferry Huberts wrote:

> On 15-10-12 11:20, Henning Rogge wrote:
>> Thoughts about -Werror:
>>
>> I know the flag is not "loved" by quite a few programmers. Maybe we
>> should activate it when we create a new release branch and deactivate it
>> before we release.
>>
>> This way we make sure the current compiler warnings get fixed before a
>> release.
>>

> I propose to enable the -Werror flag on DEBUG builds.
>
> Our default build is with debug and most people (like mdns) build that way.
> Also, the debug builds (on my system) pass with -Werror while the non-debug builds do not.

As long as -Werror is not enabled when running "make", I can live with it being in a DEBUG mode, though I'll probably remove it frequently.

But I think there is too much reliance on compiler warnings.  I think olsrd would be better if that energy was spent on writing automated tests.

.hc