[Olsr-dev] rewriting public git history

Hans-Christoph Steiner (spam-protected)
Fri May 18 19:01:08 CEST 2012

Sorry, I got too preachy there.  I didn't see that the history rewriting
was in the 'eclipse' branch.  I agree, that is a normal thing to do.

In the case of olsr.org git, since pushing is unauthenticated, we need
to be extra vigilant of watching the the commit history.  Since the
emails don't represent the branch information very clearly, maybe it
would make sense to have such a branch in another repo, like on github
or somewhere?  Just my two bits.  I just find separate repos easier to
track and follow than many branches in the same repo.

On 05/18/2012 12:48 PM, Ferry Huberts wrote:

> On 18-05-12 18:29, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> - automated builders might have already pulled the changes, and will
>> not be able to pull again without human intervention
>>

> those build systems are broken
>
> a sane build system does:
> git fetch origin
> git clean -fdx
> git reset --hard origin/branch

I disagree.  Given that it is good practice to never rewrite history in
a repo that many people are working with, not reseting to the origin
provides an automated way to check to make sure that nothing funny is
happening with the history.

.hc