[Olsr-dev] rewriting public git history

Roland Stigge (spam-protected)
Fri May 18 18:58:25 CEST 2012

Hi Ferry,

On 05/18/2012 06:48 PM, Ferry Huberts wrote:
> On 18-05-12 18:29, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> - automated builders might have already pulled the changes, and will
>> not be able to pull again without human intervention
>
> those build systems are broken
>[...]

Not necessarily. I think HC is right - rewriting history can be very
disruptive for others. Consider git.kernel.org: People can easily
rewrite history in their _own_ repos, and others can decide to pull from
there or not.

But when several people push/pull to/from the same repository at the
same time, they can get surprised what's going on when others rewrite
history. Technically, no one can prevent you from rewriting (rebasing)
your "own" branch in a public repository but lacking a policy about
personal branch ownership at olsr.org (?), I think we should generally
refrain from rewriting the central repo.

Maybe you can use github or sth. for personal branches that you rebase?

Thanks for considering,

Roland