[Olsr-dev] does the current Debian olsrd.conf work with a mesh?

Hans-Christoph Steiner (spam-protected)
Thu Jun 28 20:16:40 CEST 2012

On 06/28/2012 02:04 PM, Manuel Munz wrote:
> On 28.06.2012 17:32, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>
>> Soon, I'll be starting to work on adding OLSR mesh functionality to
>> NetworkManager, so you can browse and connect to OLSR meshes using the
>> NetworkManager CLI and GUI tools.  For now, I've added this config file
>> in /etc/default/olsrd:
>>
> [...]
>
> I don't think thats right at all. First, its imo completely wrong to mix
> wireless settings into olsrd default config. second i don't like that
> these settings you mixed in are for your specific network. All that
> should probably go somewhere else, maybe /etc/commotion/config or whatever.

Using olsrd-adhoc-setup is completely optional and off by default.  In
order to use olsrd, the wifi needs to be configured, this provides an
easy way to do that for beginners.  Everyone is free to ignore it if
they don't like it.

As for which network settings should be default, I'm open to
suggestions.  Its just that I'm currently working on the Commotion
network, so I know what settings will work by default.  I don't know the
others.

Also, Commotion is a network designed to be ad-hoc in nature, unlike
most other existing networks like funkfeuer, which are managed.
Therefore, I think it makes sense to have the default network be one
that is meant to work without setup, versus setting the defaults to
something like funkfeuer, which won't work until you've gotten an IP
address thru their registration process.

.hc