[Olsr-dev] quagga plugin is broken using the latest stable quagga 0.99.21

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Tue Jun 19 15:32:16 CEST 2012

On 06/19/2012 03:27 PM, David Lamparter wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 02:32:07PM +0200, Ferry Huberts wrote:
>> I personally love throwing code away, and am all for this proposal.
>>
>> And now an (insane?) idea for olsrd v2:
>> Why not run all of the olsrd functionality within Quagga?
>> After all, olsr is Yet Another Routing Protocol...
>
> There really is not much difference between having a Quagga plugin for
> olsrd on one hand and being a "full" Quagga daemon on the other.
>
> Quagga does carry a rather large framework of some useful (VTY) and some
> useless (event loop, memory management) code, and I guess you could
> adapt olsrd to that.  There's not much gained from the useless parts of
> it though, so what remains is maybe the CLI and SNMP support.

SNMP *sigh*

> On the other hand, Quagga's CLI doesn't mesh too well with things like
> LuCI or other overlay configuration systems, so this might actually be
> an argument against this.
>
> (That doesn't mean I wouldn't absolutely like to see olsrd with a
> cisco-style CLI.  But for OpenWRT and such, that'd probably be a
> problem, not a feature.)

Next generation OLSRd (for OLSRv2) I am working on already has a
mini-telnet server to allow plugins (and the core) to define telnet
commands. Mix well with the new 'change config during runtime' code. ;)

Henning Rogge

--
Diplom-Informatiker Henning Rogge , Fraunhofer-Institut für
Kommunikation, Informationsverarbeitung und Ergonomie FKIE