[Olsr-dev] quagga plugin is broken using the latest stable quagga 0.99.21

David Lamparter (spam-protected)
Tue Jun 19 15:27:29 CEST 2012

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 02:32:07PM +0200, Ferry Huberts wrote:
> I personally love throwing code away, and am all for this proposal.
>
> And now an (insane?) idea for olsrd v2:
> Why not run all of the olsrd functionality within Quagga?
> After all, olsr is Yet Another Routing Protocol...

There really is not much difference between having a Quagga plugin for
olsrd on one hand and being a "full" Quagga daemon on the other.

Quagga does carry a rather large framework of some useful (VTY) and some
useless (event loop, memory management) code, and I guess you could
adapt olsrd to that.  There's not much gained from the useless parts of
it though, so what remains is maybe the CLI and SNMP support.

On the other hand, Quagga's CLI doesn't mesh too well with things like
LuCI or other overlay configuration systems, so this might actually be
an argument against this.

(That doesn't mean I wouldn't absolutely like to see olsrd with a
cisco-style CLI.  But for OpenWRT and such, that'd probably be a
problem, not a feature.)

-David

P.S.: I actually have a half-done Quagga OLSR implementation on my disk
;) -- stopped working on it though, after realising it'd be a bit more
work than I thought...