[Olsr-dev] included nmealib and wireformat libs installing headers?

Hans-Christoph Steiner (spam-protected)
Fri Jun 8 17:02:40 CEST 2012

On Jun 8, 2012, at 4:35 AM, Ferry Huberts wrote:

> On 08-06-12 02:23, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>
>> Hey Ferry,
>>
>> I just pulled and was looking through your commits.  I noticed that the
>> pud plugin is now installing the headers from the embedded nmealib and
>> wireformat libraries.  Since these are both externally maintained
>
> AFAIK the are not installing headers. Header installation is a separate target that is not called anywhere in the olsr build
>
>> libraries, people who need their headers should get them from those
>
> nmealib is externally maintained, wireformat is not since it needs olsr headers, and olsr has no headers installation
>
>> packages directly, not from olsrd.
>>
>> One problem that this causes is that for Debian, Fedora, etc. the pud
>> Makefile will have to be changed to not install those headers because
>> they will conflict with the headers from the Debian versions of those
>> libraries.
>
> no changes needed
>

>> Its one thing to embed these libraries for olsrd-internal use, but I
>> don't think olsrd should be the installer for nmealib and wireformat.
>> Since olsrd currently installs no headers, I can't see a need for
>> nmealib and wireformat to install their headers.
>>

> see above
>
> (did you try an installation??)

Sorry, I didn't try an installation.  I was just concerned because it seems to me that using a global variable INCLUDEDIR in the main Makefile points towards plans for a global install.  If the intention is always to keep it a option local to pud, perhaps it makes sense to have the INCLUDEDIR variable local to pud as well since nothing else in olsrd uses it?

.hc