[Olsr-dev] UUID plugin

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Tue Jun 5 08:33:21 CEST 2012

On 06/04/2012 10:17 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> I've been trying to think of a good way to track a given olsrd
> instance when doing large scale monitoring of a network.  The idea is
> for use in test networks and debug setups rather than day to day use.
> Things like IP and MAC addresses can change, and given some of the
> privacy goals of Commotion and the Guardian Project, we will have
> setups that frequently change both the IP and MAC.
>
> So I was thinking there could be a plugin that generates a UUID
> (universally unique ID, basically a giant random number) and saves it
> to a file.  If that is loaded, things like jsoninfo would then output
> the UUID info.
>
> How does that sound?

Dependencies between plugins are a real pain in OLSRd at the moment. And
constantly changing the MAC sounds like a good way to shoot yourself in
the foot. ;)

There is also the problem that generating an UUID is not trivial on
simple embedded hardware. If you cannot trust the MAC and the IP, there
is not much you can use to generate a good UUID.

Henning Rogge

--
Diplom-Informatiker Henning Rogge , Fraunhofer-Institut für
Kommunikation, Informationsverarbeitung und Ergonomie FKIE