[Olsr-dev] Link metrics

scolfield (spam-protected)
Mon Jul 30 02:55:22 CEST 2012

Thank you for answers.

It's truth that current OLSR version was prepared to use ETX
in the past and some modification on link quality calculation will
break the compatibility... and I'm bit curious about OLSRv2.

I think that link quality metrics based on ETX, at the implementation
level view, we "don't have much problems". I mean, in example,
the metric ML calculation method is very similar to ETX, in other
words, we can use the same HELLO and TC packets implemented
currently to provide ML metric.

I imagine that it is not possible to metrics based on link bandwidth
calculation like MD or ETT, where they use packet-pair probe to
measure the link quality.

The future OLSR version 2 will be able to "add" these metrics?
In other words, if the research community decide to implement
a new metric that use packet-pair probing technique, OLSRv2
will be prepared/modulated to add it? There is a preview
when it will be released?

And to finish, I would like know if you intend to provide
MD (minimum delay) metric as a standard metric or
as a optional metric (available to use).