[Olsr-dev] Link metrics

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Sun Jul 29 23:34:33 CEST 2012

Not completely right.

The main reason at the moment is that the packet encoding of Olsrd was
designed specifically for ETX in the past, so we have to break
compatibility for new metrics.

Thats why (at least from my side) we plan to introduce them with
OLSRv2 (which I am working on at the moment) where we have to break
compatibility anyway.

Breaking it twice in a row is bad.

Henning

On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 11:21 AM, ZioPRoTo (Saverio Proto)
<(spam-protected)> wrote:
> I think the main reason why we don't use them is that the core
> developers are all volunteers, and there is not enogh spare time to
> implement everything.
>
> ciao,
>
> Saverio
>

> 2012/7/29 scolfield <(spam-protected)>:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> Maybe ETX link metric is the most known technique used to calculate
>> or estimate link quality between to points. However, in the literature
>> we can see any kind of link quality metric has proposed, such as
>> ETT, ML, MD and other variation of ETX.
>>
>> Such metrics has proposed and tested at the simulation level like ns-2
>> and those works show us that such new metrics were better than ETX
>> in multimedia environments.
>>
>> So, I would like your opinions about these metrics. What do you think
>> about it? Why don't  use in the OLSR protocol?
>>
>> My best thanks,
>>
>> --

Steven Hawkings about cosmic inflation: "An increase of billions of
billions of percent in a tiny fraction of a second. Of course, that
was before the present government."