[Olsr-dev] please revert " force copy the olsrd.conf file during install"

Hans-Christoph Steiner (spam-protected)
Wed Jul 4 22:23:54 CEST 2012

On Jul 4, 2012, at 3:15 PM, Ferry Huberts wrote:

> On 04-07-12 11:51, Vasilis Tsiligiannis wrote:
>> Στις Τετ 04 Ιουλ 2012 09:07:51 ZioPRoTo έγραψε:
>>> the upstream make install will install olsrd and plugins at once.
>>> Instead OpenWRT packages each plugin in a separate ipkg, so I think it
>>> is impossible to use the upstream make install.
>>
>> Hi Saverio,
>>
>> This is not a problem. The packaging of the files is performed at a later
>> stage. Just "fish" the files from PKG_INSTALL_DIR instead of PKG_BUILD_DIR.
>>
>> One problem with using the upstream 'make install{,_libs}' is the hardcoded
>> use of host 'strip' for striping the object files. It should be wrapped into a
>> variable which will allow it to be overriden in the OpenWrt makefile.
>
> Please enlighten me,
>
> Why would you not want to strip when building without debug?

Because then you don't need to have a separate debug mode.  If the software can be built and run in place, i.e. run ./olsrd in the source tree after its built, then you can debug it without installing.  I do this all the time, setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH or using symlinks to load plugins.

Then for proper installs, they'll be stripped as part of the install process.  This is how autotools does it and how Debian recommends build systems do it.

.hc