[Olsr-dev] Question: is possible to use mixed LinkQualityAlgorithm among nodes ?

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Wed Dec 12 22:52:34 CET 2012

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 7:31 PM, Saverio Proto <(spam-protected)> wrote:
> Short version:
> Question: is possible to use mixed LinkQualityAlgorithm among nodes ?
> If I have most nodes with "etx_ff" and some other nodes running
> "etx_float" I will run into trouble ?

No... you only get in trouble if you use "etx_ffeth".

> Long version:
> In Ninux we have some links that are very long, like 20Km. These links
> have very low bandwidth, around 1Mbps, but also very low packet loss,
> so that when there is no user traffic the ETX is 1, and all the
> traffic prefers these links.
>
> We use then LinkQualityMult to raise the ETX to 10. Raising so much
> causes the link to flap, because with little traffic is very easy to
> have a small packet loss and the cost will reach LINK_COST_BROKEN.

Try to raise the link quality multiplier to 3 on both sides... that
should give you an ETX of 9 without instant link breaking.

> I want to try to tune LinkQualityAging that now is set at the default
> value to see if I can avoid this flapping, and I want also to try the
> etx_float algorithm to see if I can solve this problem.

lqaging doesn't work in etxff and etxff_eth.

It will not help with links with lqmult 10, because lq<0.1 is
considered a "broken" link I think.

Henning Rogge
--
Steven Hawkings about cosmic inflation: "An increase of billions of
billions of percent in a tiny fraction of a second. Of course, that