[Olsr-dev] change to olsr_rt_flags() function in BSD but not Linux in stable branch

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Fri Apr 6 09:00:01 CEST 2012

The whole thing did not compile for quite some time, and the code is
unnecessary unless you want to run a linux without netlink interface
for routing... which might be 2.0.0 or something similar.

So lets get rid of the dead code.

Henning

On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 08:50, Markus Kittenberger
<(spam-protected)> wrote:
> thx for the reminder,..
> but my patch never was a build break, as it already did not compile without
> -D LINUX_NETLINK_ROUTING
>
> but i/we should really either remove kernel_routes_ioctl.c or fix it. (could
> push a fix, but will NOT do so,..)
> but i still think removing it makes more sense.
>
> as imho, the non netlink code likely did not work since a long time (and
> like the bsd code, it should have issues due to the wrong flags set in
> olsr_rt_flags())
>
> furthermore even with a fixed kernel_routes_ioctl.c olsrd did not compile
> without -D LINUX_NETLINK_ROUTING
>
> as e.g. the smartgateway code in not only within #ifdef
> LINUX_NETLINK_ROUTING
> therefore since olsrd 0.6.0 olsrd did not compile without
> LINUX_NETLINK_ROUTING
>
> while this was easy fixable too, and i could compile and run it, txtinfo did
> not work (or it crashes olsrd once he tries to load it) too.
> furthermore it would now make sense to test the ioctl routing code, for
> several issues we only fixed for netlink,..
>
> so i finally decided (with henning) NOT to fix it, as he will remove
> linux_ioctl stuff prior to olsrd 0.6.3 release,.. ( thx Henning! )
>
> Markus
>
> On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 7:56 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner
> <(spam-protected)> wrote:
>>

>> I just noticed something while rebasing my patches against the HEAD of
>> stable.  In the commit called "fix bsd RTM_GATEWAY routing flags detection"
>> by Markus Kittenberger (66dcc5f8e3da8084cef0fcec3a4580d47b90f593), the
>> function olsr_rt_flags() was changed to have a second parameter:
>>
>>  olsr_rt_flags(const struct rt_entry *, int add);
>>
>> This change was made in src/process_routes.h,  src/process_routes.c, and
>> src/bsd/kernel_routes.c but was not made in src/linux/kernel_routes_ioctl.c.
>>  Yet, olsrd seems to build and run fine.  My guess is that
>> src/linux/kernel_routes_ioctl.c is not used at all, even though its being
>> included it the build.
>
> it is only used if one want olsrd without netlink for linux,..
>
> and yes either i should change kernel_routes_ioctl.c (as i already promised)
> or remove it,..
>

>> If src/linux/kernel_routes_ioctl.c is not used, can it be removed?  If it
>> is, then olsr_rt_flags() should be updated there.
>>
>> On a related note, I setup an automated build on Debian/stable/amd64 and
>> also runs olsrd using fakeroot after it builds:
>> https://build.safermobile.org/job/olsrd-stable/
>>
>> .hc
>> --

Steven Hawkings about cosmic inflation: "An increase of billions of
billions of percent in a tiny fraction of a second. Of course, that
was before the present government."