[Olsr-dev] OLSRd Linux NL80211 extension

Teco Boot (spam-protected)
Tue Apr 3 22:35:20 CEST 2012

Op 3 apr. 2012, om 11:12 heeft Henning Rogge het volgende geschreven:

> On 03/21/2012 11:46 AM, Frank de Brabander wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I would like to share the work done on OLSRd, which adds basic support for
>> applying Linux NL80211 information into the link cost calculation. In
>> short what this means is that wireless signal strength and bandwidth are
>> added to the cost calculation. The more detailed description is in the
>> attached file OLSRD_LINUX_NL80211_EXTENSION.txt.
>>
>> The code is based on the stable branch and can be found in a branch called
>> nl80211_support on GitHub
>> (https://github.com/brabander/olsr/tree/nl80211-support).
>>
>> I'm very interested in how the OLSR community thinks about the current
>> status of extension and where to go next.
> I looked over your code in the last week and I think its a very interesting work to start experimenting with Layer-2 based metrics.
>
> The problem with it (similar to the problems we had with earlier layer-2 experiments) is that it has to break the message format.

I'll check. I think it should be possible to influence ETX with L2 info.

> A better solution will only be possible after we switched to OLSRv2. If you like, you can have a look at the DLEP-prototype I am working on, which will become a probing service to allow querying nl802.11 data from WLAN over UDP.

In a single box, let's not use DLEP.
Or do you suggest DLEP as access method to get metrics into the routing daemon: DLEP client & server in a device?

Teco